This is a really simple upgrade, so simple, I wouldnt even call it a modification. All gmt900 trucks can do this (except LTZ trim levels, but chances are you have something similar built in), regardless of what engine, etc..
This will allow you to access your fuel mileage, range, gallons used, V8/V4 mode notification, tire pressures, tire sensor relearn, key fob relearn, chime volume, entry and exit lighting schemes, lock and unlock schemes (including automatic lock/unlock), unit and language choices, and engine hours.
The wires are already there just waiting to be used, and this is relatively cheap. It should cost about 100 even after shipping. Although you may be able to do it for a little cheaper.
The GM part number is 19159438. It will give you the new dash trim piece and the buttons, and here is a link to the part:
GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts
1. Make sure you have the truck turned off, and if your extra cautious, you can disconnect the neg battery terminal, but I dont think its neccesary.
2. Remove the dash trim piece that is left of the steering wheel, gently, by hand.
3. Remove your light control switch and the dimmer switch, they are just held in with clips. No tool should be needed
4. There are two unused cables connected to the back of the trim piece, these are the ones you will be using for your DIC controller.
5. Reinstall everything, light controls and light switch, as you removed.
6. Install the unused wires into the DIC module in your new trim peice, re install the trim peice onto the dash, reconnect the neg battery terminal if you disconnected it, and turn on the truck.